For 160 years, Swisher dominated the US cigar and tobacco industry, with iconic brands such as Swisher Sweets, Drew Estate, and emerging brands such as Hempire and Rogue. Looking to the future, Swisher established Matchbook Capital - an innovation arm to build a portfolio of iconic brands outside of tobacco. We are looking for a talented, hungry, motivated Associate to support this mission.
The team has a broad foundation in innovation and the start-up world with success rooted in wine, cannabis, beer, and technology. Energized by an insatiable appetite for success, a bias for data, a test-and-learn methodology, and a strong focus on innovation, the Matchbook Capital team will lead Swisher into owning a portfolio of leading lifestyle brands for adult consumers.
...are curious, pragmatic, data-oriented, and slightly contrarian
…picture yourself as a trendsetter, take pride in the impact you can have in the world
…have a strong sense of humor and don’t take yourself seriously
…dislike the status quo
Then we may have a role for you to play in this big movement of ours!
The Associate, Matchbook Capital, is responsible for developing, managing, and owning an incubation or acquisition project to bring a new set of innovative products to market. The Associate will serve as the primary contact with the c-suite of a newly acquired company or the primary stakeholder when developing a new product, internally. In addition, the Associate will support investment search and due diligence efforts.
- Create a robust pipeline of investment opportunities within a selected investment category
- Ensure every detail of the deal pipeline is documented in our CRM
- Screen inbound leads and pitch decks, submit selected opportunities for review to senior team members
- Ideate and pitch innovative concepts grounded in data, with solid economic fundamentals, prepare product development and business plans
- Prepare clear and disciplined decks for the investment committee
- Drive the due diligence process: own the checklist, and manage the data room
- Complete ownership of the P&L for one or more investments
- Create, manage, and own a roadmap for a new acquisition, ensuring growth, financial, and operational milestones are achieved
- Serve as the communication channel between acquirees and internal executives
- Determine staffing and resource gaps within a recent acquisition, build a business case to obtain resources, and assist with sourcing
- Facilitate obtaining internal resources from various Swisher departments to support acquirees in achieving success
- Manage every facet of a product development or incubation strategy including running structured RFP processes, developing supply chain partners, and determining a go-to-market strategy
- Report and communicate often and clearly the status of owned projects to internal stakeholders. Clearly describe challenges or obstacles and the plan to overcome them
- Be an active voice for managed projects at internal and external check-in meetings and board meetings
- Work with internal stakeholders to develop an integration plan for the acquisition
- Undergraduate (required) or postgraduate degree (preferred) with coursework in finance, entrepreneurship, or a related field
- 2 -5 years of experience in a start-up, start-up environment, or consulting firm
- Excellent project management skills with a demonstrated history of owning and leading large, complex projects
- Ability and desire to become an expert in a new industry
- Embraces “A Message to Garcia” approach to execution
- Ability to clearly communicate complex problems or strategies in a simple way
- Ability to communicate data visually without the use of jargon
- Experience owning a P&L for a multi-million dollar project
- Extensive experience setting budgets, conducting unit economic analysis and profit/cost drivers
- Intimate familiarity with Microsoft Excel and a love of quantitative analysis
- Experience writing communications for an executive audience
- A well-worn copy of the “Lean Startup” on your desk
- Understanding of what it means to be accountable, owning one’s mistakes, and honest communication
In addition to the key attributes listed above, we are looking for a funny, success-loving individual who…
- Doesn't crack under pressure (i.e. laughs, doesn't cry) when programming a theoretical robo-unicorn that is humankind's only hope of survival with 1 minute left on the world’s clock
- Excited by new industries, products, and insane goals
- Fun to work with and be around!
Location: Jacksonville, FL - but most of us live at the beach. Check out Jax Beach, Atlantic Beach, and Ponte Vedra. Nothing like a swim in the ocean (or surfing the waves!) after a good day at work!
Travel: Moderate (20%)
- Must be able to sit for prolonged periods of time and work on a computer
- Must be able to lift up to 20 pounds